February 24, 2013
The worker killed when the interior of a midtown Manhattan building caved in during a demolition project was identified as authorities probed what caused the collapse.
Pedro Bacilio, 26, died after part of a five-story town house crumbled Friday morning, police said. Another worker was trapped in the rubble for three hours before emergency crews could dig him out, using special tools, authorities said. Seventeen other workers escaped uninjured.
Investigators continued working at the site, where workers had been taking two adjacent buildings down, floor-by-floor, for several months before Friday's collapse.
Owner Fortuna Realty Group has been planning a 170-room boutique hotel at the site.
An engineer on the project requested the day before that work cease until the building could be shored up better, officials said. It's not clear whether that work was underway Friday when the interior fell in from the fifth floor to the basement, leaving a V-shaped cavity and one worker stuck at the bottom of it.
Northeast Service Interiors is the demolition contractor.
Most Users Ever Online: 429
Currently Browsing this Page:
Guest Posters: 48