Project Controls Group Leader, Facilities & Operations
Requisition Id 6123
The Project Management Office (PMO) at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) invites candidates to apply for the Facilities and Operations Project Controls Group Leader role.
This position within the PMO will focus on supporting various projects under the Facilities and Operations organization while also supervising a group of PMO staff. Functions include, and are not limited to construction estimating, cost tracking and reporting, creation and maintenance of construction schedules, change control, tracking milestones and deliverables, risk management, and managing group staff members and coordinating with project sponsors.
ORNL is the largest US Department of Energy’s Science and Energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems. Our diverse capabilities span a broad range of scientific and engineering disciplines, enabling ORNL to explore fundamental science challenges and to perform the research needed to accelerate the delivery of solutions to the marketplace. ORNL employees show their commitment to safe operations by asking questions, evaluating hazards in advance, voicing safety concerns, and continuously learning.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Work as part of a project team under the leadership of a Program/Project Manager to ensure the planning and executing of projects meet established scope, cost, and schedule goals and objectives. Provides expertise in the planning and control processes required in managing programs and projects. Develops project/program performance metrics, analyzes project/program performance, and assists in developing recovery plans as needed. Evaluates resource requirements and assists in plans for leveling of the workforce. Participates in the coordination and administration of subcontract management activities relative to task identification, budgets, and schedules for Design, Construction and/or equipment in accordance with contractual requirements.
- This position will function as the project controls subject matter expert (SME) and be responsible for creating and maintaining the project controls policies, procedures and systems/tools that facilitate the successful development and maintenance of the:
- Project work breakdown structure (WBS) and dictionary,
- Summary and detailed, logic driven, resource loaded schedules
- Summary and detailed cost estimates,
- Actual costs and accrual integration,
- Risk identification and management, to include risk analysis and simulations.
- Maintains integrity of the project baseline through baseline maintenance, coordinating the preparation of the baseline change proposal or the project change order and prepares the financial project close-out documentation.
- Various status and Earned value management (EVM) based reports. Track project performance, provides schedule and cost variances, coordinates variance expiations and recovery plans.
- Provides independent assessment of project performance against approved baselines and plan and provide coordinated recommendations and analysis to various levels of management.
- Prepares or provides input to program/project/task performance reports used by various levels of ORNL and DOE management.
- Maintains working knowledge and follows applicable ORNL Directives, Policies and Procedures.
- Ensure all project management systems, project planning, and project executions are compliant with applicable ORNL and DOE governance, specifically DOE Order 413.3b and ORNL EVM system requirements that are based upon EIA 748-C and NDIA EVMS EIA-748 Intent Guide.
- Develop, present and reinforce project management process and systems training for all applicable project staff, specifically the project control account managers (CAMs).
- Prepare and support various project reviews, including internal and external project status reviews, DOE Order 413.3 Critical Decision (CD) reviews, independent cost estimate reviews (ICR), and earned value system surveillance/compliance Reviews and peer reviews.
- Provide leadership in all areas of project management and mentorship of employees
- Selection, retention, and development of highly qualified staff to meet diverse requirements in the area of project management principles
- BS/BA in project or construction management, business, engineering or an equivalent combination of education and related work experience.
- Ten years of experience successfully performing project controls duties as noted above for construction, demolition or research- based project(s) within the DOE or Department of Defense (DOD).
- Ten years of project experience working within an EVMS environment compliant with EIA-748; to include setting baselines, incorporating baseline changes, producing monthly reports and variance analysis.
- Solid understanding of project controls best practices regarding scope, time, cost, change and risk management; and a complete understanding of EIA-748 compliant EVM.
- Solid experience with Primavera and EVM (Deltek Cobra or similar) cost processors.
- Fifteen years of experience successfully performing project controls duties as noted above for construction, demolition or research-based project(s) within the DOE Office of Science within a national laboratory environment.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
- Masters in project or construction management, business, engineering or an equivalent combination of education and related work experience.
- Fifteen years of project experience working within an EVMS environment compliant with EIA-748.
- Experience with the DOE PARS II reporting system.
- Significant hand-on experience with: Oracle Primavera, Deltek Cobra or similar cost processors, risk analysis and simulation software, change control applications, and custom system and report development.
- Understanding of government accounting systems and principles and the ability to apply these principles to project controls. Understanding multidiscipline design, procurement, and construction requirements for a broad range of project types (research and infrastructure).
- Experience in developing and presenting training on project management principles or tools, specifically CAM training.
- Experience with preparing for and participating in Independent Project Reviews (IPRs) and EVMS surveillance reviews.
- Very strong communications skills, with the ability to successfully interact with DOE, project reviewers, senior laboratory management and senior project staff members.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Nearest Major Market: Knoxville