Project Consultant/Project Engineer (Associate Level)
ERM is seeking a committed Project Engineer to join our Liability Portfolio Management and Remediation team in Washington, DC. In this critical role, you will be part of the project team that supports ERM client's needs for decommissioning, decontamination and demolition (DDD) of industrial assets. You will team with project managers, demolition managers, and field safety personnel to develop and plan projects and oversee contractors for the safe implementation of fieldwork. You will be present during all site activities and responsible for all health and safety activities.
This is an excellent career opportunity to work with an expert consulting team committed to a strong health & safety culture.
* Planning and assisting with DDD projects, including developing scopes of work, reviewing contractor work plans, evaluating scope options, supporting project cost estimates, attending pre-construction interviews, supervising specific tasks, participating in client and progress meetings, documenting progress and updating schedules, performing field safety walks, and summarizing and preparing final reports.
* Reviewing contractor submittals including but not limited to, requests for information, contract clarifications, contract-required submittals, change order requests, and other documents related to compliance with project specifications.
* Supporting site investigation efforts to identify existing building conditions and conduct/ support sampling to identify the presence of hazardous materials for special handling during remediation and demolition.
* Serving as a Field Safety Officer during site work by preparing site-specific Health & Safety Plans, including monitoring conformance with safety and emergency procedures, conducting daily safety briefings and interacting with contractors, ERM personnel and Client project teams, and maintaining appropriate records and documentation.
* Planning and scheduling on-site full- and part-time staff, evaluating subcontractor performance and schedules, and assisting the Project Manager with negotiating and resolving change order requests.
* Communicating with the field team and Project Manager, supporting project tasks to assess project conformance with project plans and specifications, and assure that clarifications and interpretations required for proper execution of the contract are implemented.
* Supporting Project Manager's effort to identify and track upcoming management requirements, meet with clients to identify upcoming work, and assist in business development activities, including preparation of proposals, interviews, and project contracting.
* Conducting behavior-based safety observations, investigating and correcting incidents and near misses, completing root-cause analysis and maintaining detailed and appropriate records.
* Bachelors or Master's Degree in an Engineering field preferably chemical, civil, mechanical or structural. Alternatively, a degree in occupational health, safety or industrial hygiene will be considered.
* 5+ years of experience in structural demolition, decommissioning or decontamination projects.
* Completed training and certifications for OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER, DOT basic Hazmat awareness, OSHA 30-hour construction, confined space entry training, and fall protection/prevention training. Asbestos trainings and certifications are a plus.
* Strong initiative (self-starter), problem-solving and communication skills, and attention to detail.
* Ability to manage competing priorities and uncertainty or ambiguous project requirements and requests.
* Excellent leadership, communication, writing and organizational skills.
* Willingness to travel throughout and outside the United States. Applicants should anticipate spending 75%+ of their time in the field on three week rotations with typically one-week breaks.
* Experience in heavy construction, demolition or remediation-specific project execution and health & safety leadership.
* Strong commitment to safety, including implementing strict Health and Safety protocols.
* Ability to pass a background and drug screen.
Who We Are:
As the largest global pure play sustainability consultancy, we partner with the world's leading organizations, creating innovative solutions to sustainability challenges and unlocking commercial opportunities that meet the needs of today while preserving opportunity for future generations.
At ERM we know that creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment is an essential part of making our company a great place to build a career. We also see our diversity as a strength that helps us create better solutions for our clients. Our diverse team of world-class experts supports clients across the breadth of their organizations to operationalize sustainability, underpinned by our deep technical expertise in addressing their environmental, health, safety, risk and social issues. We call this capability our "boots to boardroom" approach for its comprehensive service model that allows ERM to develop strategic and technical solutions that advance objectives on the ground or at the executive level.
Please submit your resume and brief cover letter. Based on review of these responses, shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews.
ERM does not accept recruiting agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, ERM employees or any other company location. ERM is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
ERM is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Thank you for your interest in ERM!