Planning & Strategy Specialist (Demolition Department)
PLANNING AND STRATEGIC SPECIALIST
The Planning & Strategy Specialist position is intended professionals looking for a historic opportunity to work with the largest blight elimination program in the nation. The Detroit Demolition Program is a cornerstone in Mayor Duggan's effort to revitalize the City of Detroit, and this position will serve an integral function in the Program.
The Specialist will report to the Planning & Strategy Manager and will assist the Manager with tasks related to the identification of demolition targets, the completion of any necessary due diligence, and the coordination of procurement-related services that support the demolition program. Qualified candidates will possess a basic understanding of city governance and knowledge of Detroit's history, neighborhoods and planning environment
~ THIS POSITION IS TEMPORARY (TASS) ~
Examples of Duties
* Prepare documents for Requests for Proposals (RfPs), Requests for Qualifications (RfQs), and other OCP bid solicitations;
* Establish internal processes to efficiently track procurement releases and timelines;
* Investigate demolition-related field issues submitted by contractors;
* Track and provide timely updates on inquiries submitted by the Department of Neighborhoods/City of Detroit residents;
* Partner with other governmental agencies, departments, and/or entities to track updates on properties in the demolition pipeline;
* Track all relevant data points and maintain documentation related to planning, strategy, and procurement-related activities;
* Participate in researching and writing specifications and preparing time, cost, material, and labor estimates for items to be purchased;
* Set up cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures. Reports should include an assessment of cost-effectiveness for projects or services, tracking actual costs relative to bids as the project develops, and developing progress reports;
* Work with OCP to resolve difficulties that arise during and after the procurement process;
* Participate in researching and writing specifications for items to be purchased;
* Evaluate and monitor contract performance to ensure compliance with contractual obligations and to determine the need for changes;
* Perform any other duties as assigned.
* Bachelor's Degree in any discipline
* Valid Driver's License
* Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
* Microsoft Excel (e.g. Pivot Tables, VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP , charts, tables)
* Detail Orientation
* Critical Thinking/Problem Solving
* Solution Oriented
* Analytical Skills
* Time Management/Prioritization Skills
* Equivalent combinations of education and experience that provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities will be evaluated on an individual basis.
Oral Interview - 100%
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
* Advanced communication (oral & written) skills;
* Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite;
* Intermediate knowledge of database management tools/systems;
* Ability to conduct field investigations, as necessary;
* Knowledge of city governance and public policy; and
* Knowledge of procurement procedures.
REQUIRED SUBMITTAL INFORMATION:
The following documents are REQUIRED for consideration:
* Updated Resume
The supervisor assigns work by defining objectives, priorities, and deadlines, and indicates any special considerations or unusual requirements. For actions that do not have clear precedent, the assignment is given with an explanation of policies and procedures to be followed, or the supervisor provides direction through a comprehensive discussion of the work to be performed.
The Planning & Strategy Specialist is responsible for planning and carrying out recurring assignments and for exercising judgment in the selection of supporting data, industry sources, and contracting techniques to be followed within established procedures and in line with established precedent. The Planning & Strategy Specialist recognizes technical problems, such as inadequate justification or deviations from normal procedure, and confers with the supervisor or higher-grade specialist to resolve them after searching precedents to develop a recommended solution.
Guidelines include procurement regulations and precedents applicable to one or more of the contracting specialties, as well as urban planning best practices and public policy principles. The Planning & Strategy Specialist uses judgment in interpreting guidelines in recommending approaches or solutions for specific problems.
The work includes various duties involving different and unrelated contracting processes and techniques in a relatively standardized or controlled work situation. Determining what needs to be done requires substantive analysis, such as reviewing the procurement request for completeness and obtaining additional information from other City departments or agencies. The Planning & Strategy Specialist must select appropriate techniques and procedures.
The work is characterized as sedentary. Typically Planning & Strategy Specialists sit comfortably to do their work, interspersed by brief periods of walking, standing, bending, carrying of papers and books, and extended periods requiring the use of computer terminals to accomplish work objectives.
Work is performed in a comfortable office environment which is appropriately lighted, heated and cooled. The work environment contains no significant hazards. Some work may require walking and standing in conjunction with travel to and attendance at meetings and conferences away from the work site. The Planning & Strategy Specialist may encounter individuals that are upset.
Candidates considered for placement in this classification may be subject to a Criminal Background Investigation based on the requirements of the position.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to the class. Incumbents may be required to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification. Essential duties may vary from position to position.