Estimator/Project Manager (Structural Demolition)
ESA/Iowa Demolition is hiring a highly experienced Estimator/Project Manager (EPM) to work out of our Des Moines office. This is an opportunity to work with one of the most established abatement and demolition firms in the US (top 3 according to ENR magazine). Our firm has been in business for over 40 years; we have an excellent safety record; and we are financially very stable. The position at ESA/Iowa Demolition requires a minimum of 5 years' experience in bidding and managing demolition work. Skills that are a plus include: industrial experience, such as power plants, rail, mills, and refineries.
Position Summary: The Estimator/Project Manager will review blueprints, bid specifications, proposals, and other documentation to prepare time, cost, and labor estimates for projects, or services. In addition to planning, directing, and coordinating activities of designated projects to ensure that goals or objectives of project are accomplished within prescribed time frame and funding parameters by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors. The EPM is also responsible for onsite job visits to ensure projects are progressing according to the schedule and budget, acting as a safety champion, and ensuring compliance with city, state, and federal entities.
Essential Job Functions
- Reviews project proposal or plans to determine time frame, funding limitations, procedures for accomplishing project, staffing requirements, and allotment of available resources to various phases of project.
- Calculate cost of jobs based on materials, supplies and man hour and prepares job estimates for each project.
- Supports safety compliance and acts as a safety champion and ensures compliance with all City/State//Federal/OSHA guidelines and communicates the need for safety plans to the Safety Director in a timely manner.
- Submits change orders, bills, budget inputs, cost codes, cost reporting, purchase orders and any necessary paperwork for each job in a timely manner.
- Regular job visits to ensure project progress is on schedule and within prescribed budget.
- Coordinate with supervisors to prioritize and outline work plan and to assign duties, responsibilities, and scope of authority. Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities. Provides recognition for results.
- Takes responsibility for subordinates' activities, makes self-available to staff and provides regular performance feedback and acts as a leader in the organization. Encourages employee's skill development for growth and to improve processes.
- Develops and implements cost saving measures to contribute to profits and revenue.
- Understands business implications of decisions, profitability, with a thorough knowledge of the market and competition.
- Proactively identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, overcome obstacles and provide quality control.
- Manages difficult or emotional customer situations, responds promptly to customer needs, solicits customer feedback to improve service.
- Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming, maintains confidentiality, and remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy, shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences and promotes a harassment-free environment.
- Treats people with respect, inspires the trust of others, works with integrity and ethically while upholding organizational values.
- Follows policies and procedures, completes tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals.
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned, including various special projects.
- Travel may be required.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in the demolition field required.
- Bachelor's degree in construction management, Engineering or related business field, a plus.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience managing projects from bid to project completion.
- Proven finance/budgetary skills in construction project management with proven ability to bring projects in on time, and on budget.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to interact with multiple work groups, employees, and clients to complete tasks.
- Adapts to changes, delays, and unexpected events in the work environment by managing multiple conflicting priorities.
- Develop strong trusting relationships in order to gain support and achieve results.
- Effectively envision, develop, and implement new strategies to address competitive, complex business issues.
- Ability to effectively interface with the entire spectrum of employees at all organizational levels
- Take initiative to identify and anticipate company's needs and make recommendations for implementation.
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows (Word, Excel, Outlook)
We offer a dynamic team-oriented work environment with a benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, paid-time-off, paid holidays and a 401(k) plan.
Earth Services & Abatement is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minority/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity