Decommissioning and Demolition Project Manager – Environmental Services (Chicago)
Burns & McDonnell is looking for a Decommissioning and Demolition Project Manager for the technical development and project management of various decommissioning and demolition projects administered from the Chicago Regional Office. Burns & McDonnell is a 100% employee-owned firm ranked numerous times on FORTUNE's List of 100 Best Companies to Work For and voted as a Best Place to Work in cities across the United States.
This individual will be responsible for the successful execution of owner's engineering services for utility and industrial clients.
Tasks may include development of decommissioning & demolition plans; conducting regulated materials assessments; preparing remediation, ash pond, and landfill closure plans; generating contractor bid documents; management of contractor bid process, project implementation management, QA/QC, project management and business development (including proposals). The ideal candidate will either be an engineer or demolition specialist with a minimum of 8 years demolition engineering or demolition experience. This position will report directly to the Program Manager of Facility Decommissioning and Demolition Services in the Chicago Office.
Specific areas of responsibility include the following, with other duties as assigned by senior management:
- Lead project teams developing plans and specifications for power plant and industrial decommissioning/demolition projects.
- Review and comment on abatement and demolition execution plans developed by contractors.
- Lead support for the implementation of plant abatement / demolition / remediation (ash pond, coal pile and landfill closure) activities.
- Lead project teams generating decommissioning cost estimates for utilities to be used for future project planning.
- Participate in the marketing and sales efforts involved with the development of new work including meetings with potential clients and preparation of proposals / cost estimates.
- Demonstrating creativity, foresight and mature judgment in anticipating and solving problems.
- Interface with clients on project activities including data gathering, site investigation and project status.
- Organize projects, develop staffing plans, and develop standards and guidelines.
- Develop, guide, and coordinate design workflows, processes, and procedures for interdisciplinary coordination and coordinating with other offices.
- Assigning work and reviewing performance to ensure the efficient, cost-effective utilization of staff.
- Monitoring progress of projects to meet intended scope, stay within budgets, and maintain schedules.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Environmental, Civil, Mechanical or related engineering field from an accredited program.
- Minimum 7 years progressive experience in planning/executing decommissioning and demolition of power plants or industrial facilities.
- PE license or ability to obtain a license is preferred.
- Previous experience managing task activities, contractors, and/or projects is required.
- Must demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills, strong interpersonal skills and the ability to clearly and effectively present complex information to all levels of employees, management, and clients.
- Must be proficient in the use of basic computer software (i.e., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access) and have exposure to project management software such as Microsoft Project or Primavera. Ability to travel 20-40%.
Job Project Management
Primary Location US-IL-Downers Grove
Other Locations US-IL-Chicago
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 231562 Job Hire Type Experienced