Volt is looking for a Controls Technician to work with our client, located in Concord NC. The company is an American manufacturer of glass, ceramics, and related materials, primarily for industrial and scientific applications.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
- Oversee and provide direction to contract engineering techs, internal maintenance, and outside contract trades during all aspects of equipment installation and conversion such as demolition, construction, installation, testing, and debug of production equipment.
- Perform troubleshooting, process start-up, design, and documentation of mechanical and electrical systems for new or modified production equipment.
- Interpret and modify existing documentation to complete drawing packages, installation checklists, machine part lists, illustrations, and machine specs of production equipment.
- Provide direction to technicians to create and modify existing documentation to complete drawing packages, installation checklists, machine part lists, illustrations, and machine specs of production equipment.
- Provide electrical equipment designs, schematics, and layouts which meet Machine Drafting Standards on CAD based formats. (AutoCAD® 2014, AutoCAD Electrical 2014)
- Interpret and monitor mechanical and electrical installation checklists and schedules. Oversee, as appropriate, the usage of these systems.
- Procure and expedite materials for new or modified equipment.
- Specify or recommend vendors, and maintain close liaison between vendor and plant.
- Re-design electrical systems to reduce installation cost, solve equipment interferences, and correct inadequate designs.
- Prepare work orders and direct maintenance personnel and outside contract trades in the fabrication, assembly, testing, and installation of equipment.
- Create, review, and update installation documentation and drawings as required.
- Direct initial equipment set-up and debug up to the point of turnover to operations.
- Interface with all departments, as necessary, to ensure efficient use and operation of equipment.
- Redline existing drawings and follow-up with drafting services or oversee draftsmen as required to resolve design issues.
- Provide third-level troubleshooting support, directing contract engineering techs, and trades as necessary to replace defective components and execute changes in design solve equipment/process issues.
- Provide troubleshooting support in assigned areas.
- Take personal responsibility for all aspects of overseeing equipment installation crews including direction and shift supervision as needed for Electricians and Mechanics during installation activities.
- Provide training to contract engineering techs, internal maintenance, and outside contract trades on new equipment installation procedures as required for successful execution of installation activities.
- Analyze and correct equipment installation practices to improve efficiencies, specifically directed toward enhancing installation schedules.
- Develop cost reduction plans for the improvement of installation projects.
- Provide sketches or marked-up drawings as dictated by project and evolutionary equipment needs.
- Complete documentation packages to meet customer requirements.
- Ensure updated documentation exists in assigned areas.
Minimum of an AS or AAS in an electrical or controls discipline. BS Electrical Engineering Technology, BS Electrical Engineering is acceptable, but keep in mind this is a technician level role.
Minimum 5 to 10 years experience
Equipment or software experience preferred:
AutoCAD® 2014, AutoCAD Electrical 2014, Windows7, MS Office suite including Power Point, Excel, Word
PLC and PC based systems, Beckhoff PLC / Motion Control, B-R Control, Automated equipment systems experience
- Personal Computers
- Fluke Meters, Oscilloscopes, and other electronic test equipment.
- Equipment used for machine installation activities: conduit cutting/threading/bending, man lifts, label makers, hand tools, etc.
- Electronic calibration equipment
- Precision flow calibration
- Programmable Controllers
Personnel Directed By This Position:
Oversee and provide direction to contract engineering techs, internal maintenance, and outside contract trades during scheduled shifts.
Desired/Required Soft Skills
Skill or work style preferred:
- Ability to work well with varied job requirements.
- Ability to work well with people essential.
- Presentation skills highly desirable.
- Well organized.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities.
- Results oriented.
Special requirements (Personal Protective Equipment, Certifications, etc)
Unique or special requirements:
- Strong practical hands-on electrical aptitude (All positions require time on the floor working on equipment)
- Electro-mechanical troubleshooting ability, proficient with electrical schematics
- Motion control knowledge: servo, stepper, DC, AC drives.
- Process variable understanding: flow, temperature, rate, pressure, level.
- Thorough understanding of current loops.
- Serial communication knowledge: RS232 / 485, Ethernet, IEEE-488
- Machine control knowledge and understands classical control theory
- Mechanical aptitude
This is an estimated 11 months position in Concord NC and is offered through Volt Workforce Solutions. Volt is a world-class leader in the staffing services marketplace. Volt provides Contingent Staffing, Contingent-to-Hire, and Managed Service Programs to a variety of companies, including the Fortune 1000. Volt supplies workforce design solutions in Engineering, Information Technology, Scientific, Technical/Professional and other disciplines.
As a Volt employee, you can expect the highest level of support. We have a long standing tradition of developing lasting and mutually beneficial relationships with our employees. Contact a Volt representative by applying to this posting online for immediate consideration. Submit your resume today!
To learn more about Volt, please visit: www.volt.com and to see more of our job postings, please visit: http://jobs.volt.com
Volt is an Equal Opportunity Employer.