Job Description: Senior Civil Engineer
Bloom Energy, a solid oxide fuel cell company, is looking for a Senior Civil Engineer to join its world class team. This individual should be a dynamic professional who is looking for a rewarding future in one of today’s most exciting technologies.
Location: This position will be based in Sunnyvale, CA
Role and Responsibilities:
- Review ALTA surveys and Title Reports to incorporate legal boundaries into design documents.
- Evaluate existing site conditions to estimate costs for grading, demolition and other site preparation.
- Compile a design specification for grading, drainage and foundations based off of Geotechnical and Soils Reports provided by an external consultant. Identify any potential environmental remediation.
- Ensure resulting civil and structural drawings and documents meet all Building and Construction code requirements.
- Strong in understanding of structural calculations and their influence on sit designs.
- Participate in project meetings to provide status updates on civil and structural design deliverables.
- Coordinate with drafting team in various locations to incorporate civil and structural details into site plan.
- Coordinate with Applications Engineer and Design Manager to create detailed Scope of Work document for construction RFPs.
- Respond to pre-bid RFI’s.
- Work with entire engineering team to value engineer designs for improvement to costs estimates and schedules.
- Provide Project Planner with technical responses to AHJ questions.
- Provide Permitting support during Planning Board Meetings / Public Hearings.
- Support Project Estimator in calculating construction costs for each project.
- Responsible for ensuring civil and structural design conforms to specifications required for the implementation of Bloom Energy fuel cell systems
Skills and Experience:
- BS in Civil Engineering, MS desired
- PE license preferred
- 3+ years of civil engineering experience on a construction design project team.
- Must have experience in development of storm water management, erosion/sediment control, grading, and drainage plans from concept design through completion.
- Knowledge of codes related to construction projects (i.e. IBC, NFPA, NEC, ASCE, AWWA)
- Substantive experience with permitting agencies and developing a permit drawing set.
- Self-starter - proactive and persistent with well-developed analytical skills.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills that include a minimum of the following:
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts in a clear, concise manner for a non-technical audience.
- Ability to interact with engineers of different disciplines
- Ability to confidently and clearly define engineering requirements. Self-starter that shows the ability to work independently and under minimal supervision.
- Proficient in MS Office and AutoCAD
- Ability to make decisions on key technical issues in a demanding, fast paced environment
About Bloom Energy:
Bloom Energy will make clean, reliable energy affordable for everyone in the world. Our technology, first developed for NASA's Mars Program, will dramatically change the way that the world’s energy is produced, distributed and consumed. Bloom’s unique on-site power generation systems are among the most efficient on the planet, providing significantly reduced operating costs and producing dramatically lower greenhouse gas emissions.
Bloom Energy Servers are currently producing power for many Fortune 500 companies including Apple, Google, Walmart, AT&T, eBay, and Staples, for notable non-profit organizations such as Caltech and Kaiser Permanente and for utilities including PG&E, Southern California Edison, Delmarva Power and Washington Gas. Bloom Energy has more than 180 MW of Bloom Energy Servers installed in the United States. Last year, the company opened a large manufacturing center in Newark, Delaware and completed a number of mission critical projects.
Bloom Energy is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We are committed to compliance with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants, will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability. Bloom Energy makes reasonable accommodations, consistent with applicable laws, for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant or employee with a disability, who can perform the essential job functions, unless undue hardship would result.