Job Title: Code Compliance Specialist (NY State)
Location: Albany, NY
Job Functions & Responsibilities
* Establish a code compliance program based upon the state regulations noted above and to include a system of governance including policy and procedures, a program scope of duties and responsibilities, limits with respect to area of jurisdiction, a data collection database for the program, and a system of reporting between the program itself and program stakeholders, management and New York State.
* Identify all projects involving the erection, construction, enlargement, alteration, improvement, relocation, removal or demolition of any building or structure or related equipment under the Canal Corporation's custody subject to the requirements of state regulations and the uniform and energy codes.
* Perform plan review of construction documents of all applicable projects with respect to the state regulations and uniform and energy codes. Reconcile comments with stakeholders, and approve the construction documents with the issuance of a Construction Permit.
* Plan review, inspection and testing requirements are based on the architectural, civil/structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire code requirements found in the New York State Building Code and applicable reference standards including, but not limited to, the American with Disabilities Act, National Fire Protection Association, American Society of Civil Engineers, American Society of Mechanical Engineers National Electric Code, etc.
* Conduct progress and final inspections and witness testing for projects for which a Construction Permit has been issued and prepare inspection reports detailing inspection results, including identifying code violations and submittal requirements. Conduct re-inspections and witness re-testing as necessary.
* At the completion of construction issue certificates of occupancy and use.
* Administer and enforce the completion of annual fire inspections required by state regulations for all buildings and structures under the custody of the Canal Corporation. Coordinate with site personnel for the scheduling of all necessary inspections and correction of all noted violations. Manage all record documents, database input and reporting to stakeholders, management and New York State.
* Issue Notice of Violations and Stop Work Orders as necessary and manage escalation processes in order to correct nonconforming issues.
* Establish, populate and maintain databases to support program
* Research the code as part of the plan review process and also in response to inquiries from other departments requesting clarification and understanding of code requirements for specific situations.
* Perform all activities necessary to support the code compliance program including necessary reporting, upkeep of policy and procedures, collection of record documentation, and education and awareness of program to stakeholders.
* Excellent knowledge of the New York State Building Codes, Energy Code and all associated reference standards, e.g. NFPA, ADA, ASME, ASCE, AISI, ASTM, etc.
* Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Proficient in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and Outlook.
* The ability to effectively communicate code requirements
* Technical knowledge across multiple engineering disciplines.
* Perseverance in researching multiple code documents and handbooks to obtain a good understanding of the code requirements.
* Ability to understand construction drawings.
* Perform plan review, conduct construction inspection and witness testing.
* Ability to independently make day and overnight travel arrangements and complete round-trip travel independently.
* Able to climb ladders and stairs.
* Walk long distances, climb scaffolds and inspect in trenches below grade.
* Able to wear personal protection equipment such as safety shoes, hard hat, hearing protection and safety glasses.
Education and Certifications
* NY State Certification as a Code Enforcement Official per Title 19, NYCRR, Part 434
* Licensed PE/RA of New York State (preferred)
* Related experience in engineering and construction
eeo we support all people