For over 25 years, Break Thru, Inc. has been providing demolition services to the Chicagoland Area. As one of the most recognized names in Chicago Demolition today, Break Thru partners with owners, general contractors, and property managers within the commercial, office, retail, healthcare, hospitality, educational, and industrial building sectors.
Break Thru's continued success can be attributed to the core values that the Company was founded on and its reputation for delivering safe, clean, quality, and reliable service to clients. Managing projects from small to large, Break Thru has completed projects in Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Michigan.
The Controller will be responsible for the management of accounting and payroll functions of the Company and the oversight of human resources, daily business, and office operations. The ideal candidate will have previous experience performing accounting processes that ensure internal controls, knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, be detail orientated, and have a high level of professionalism. Primary duties for this role and requirements are as follows:
- Manages the organization's accounting-related functions, including general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, collections, financial reporting, payroll, and financial system administration.
- Prepares financial statements, coordinates monthly close and all taxes, including annual tax return preparation and financial statement review by an external CPA firm, and compiles reports required by regulatory agencies.
- Develops and compiles reports for management in order to analyze key metrics and trends pertaining to the Company's financial performance. Performs job costing analysis as requested.
- Ensures the accuracy of data, information, and reports and evaluates financial results and operating variances.
- Oversees payroll processing and handles all payroll taxes and reporting.
- Reviews, tests, and recommends modifications to accounting practices, procedures, and internal controls to increase efficiency, mitigate risk, and ensure compliance with GAAP.
- Manages Human Resources matters including administration of non-union medical insurance; a collection of new employee paperwork; verification of employment; management of employee records; and EEO-1 reporting.
- Participates in a wide variety of other projects and tasks as assigned or requested.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance and at least three (3) years of accounting experience, or six (6) plus years of relevant accounting and bookkeeping experience is required. Prior construction industry experience is preferred.
- Must have close attention to detail along, excellent organization ability, and strong analytical skills.
- Accounting expertise, understanding of journal entries, previous experience preparing financial reports, and knowledge of relevant regulatory and compliance areas are required.
- Self-starter attitude with the ability to show initiative, provide recommendations for changes and improvements and execute plans to drive results.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs and intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel is required.