Asbestos Inspector and Hazardous Materials Specialist
Join a global professional services leader. We are committed to solving the world’s biggest challenges in the areas of water, energy and urbanization. GHD is growing and we are looking for exceptional people to grow with us.
GHD is seeking an experienced Asbestos Inspector with knowledge of hazardous materials assessment and management to join our Decommissioning and Demolition team in the Farmington Hills, Michigan office. Responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
- Inspections of large commercial and manufacturing facilities prior to decommissioning and/or demolition. Inspections would include the assessment and sampling of hazardous/regulated building materials such as asbestos materials, painted surfaces, structural components, concrete, oils/lubricants, industrial waste, etc.
- Contractor oversight during the decommissioning of commercial and manufacturing facilities including asbestos abatement, PCB remediation, mercury remediation, and other hazardous materials removal/disposal.
- Industrial Hygiene technician during asbestos abatement activities including air monitoring utilizing NIOSH 582 methods for sample collection and analysis.
- Contractor management during the demolition of commercial and manufacturing facilities with the responsibilities of tracking budgets, schedule, project scope, waste manifesting, and health/safety.
- Environmental data management, compilation, and analysis.
- Travel to project sites across North America – Up to 40% overnight travel.
- Basic Qualifications: Candidate should have 2 – 5 years of relevant experience. Candidates must have a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record. The candidate should be capable of performing physically demanding work with the ability to lift up to 50 pounds. Successful candidate will be motivated, dedicated, and a desire to continue learning as well as mentoring others. Additionally, the successful candidate will be detailed oriented with a strong focus on quality service.
- Required - USEPA/AHERA – Asbestos Building Inspector
- Required - NIOSH 582 – Sampling and Evaluating Airborne Asbestos Fibers Course
- Preferred - USEPA/AHERA – Project Designer and/or Management Planner
- Preferred - 40-hour OSHA HAZWOPER 29CFR 1910.120
- Preferred - 30-hour OSHA Construction Training Program
- General experience with Construction and Demolition Site with and understanding of the inherent safety concerns
- General experience in a manufacturing setting with and understanding of applicable regulatory and safety requirements
- General understanding of TSCA and RCRA Federal Regulations
Our commitment to you
Fostering gender balance, diversity and acceptance of flexible working is central to the way GHD does business. We offer a professional, friendly and inclusive culture based on our core values of Safety, Teamwork, Respect and Integrity.
In addition to a competitive salary, GHD provides attractive career options including professional development via our GHD Business School, additional leave, and family-friendly flexible work arrangements.
Be a part of a high functioning team, where everything we do is inspired by a level of passion and professional pride that comes from being employee owned. This ownership is what sets us apart and means our people enjoy an unrivalled amount of autonomy in their roles. It helps drive our passion and accountability in how we serve our clients, deliver projects, and pursue new opportunities.
So, do you have what it takes: passion, collaboration, imagination and values that match our own?
As one of the world’s leading professional services companies, GHD delivers iconic projects that shape our landscapes, support our communities and set the path of our collective future. To do this, we actively seek and nurture the very best people in their respective fields to join our team of over 10,000 professionals operating in the markets of water, energy and resources, environment, property and buildings, and transportation.
In return, we offer remarkable career shaping opportunities to extend your skills and gain global experience.
As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status or veteran status.