Detroit contractor demolished the wrong home for a second time
Published by John on
DETROIT (WXYZ) — A Detroit demolition group has allegedly demolished the wrong house for a second time, the city said on Wednesday.
The Detroit Building Authority issued a violation notice on Wednesday morning to Adamo Group for a wrongful demolition. It was fist reported by the Detroit Free Press. According to the DBA, the contractor has seven days to appeal.
DPA Special Projects Director Brian Farkas said that on June 18, the city awarded Adamo a $25,201 contract for the demolition of a fire damaged structure at 14661 Alma.
The city alleges that on Nov. 22, the contractor mistakenly knocked down the structure at 14461 Alma. Both of them are owned by the Detroit Land Bank.
Earlier this month, Adamo allegedly told the Detroit Land Bank of the wrongful demolition, and on Dec. 11, the DBA was notified by the land bank.
The DBA said that there was no asbestos survey connected at the home before the demolition, but all environmental procedures were followed during the demolition.
In May, the city has previously suspended Adamo for demolishing the wrong home.
“Any time one of our demolition contractors commits a serious violation, we act immediately to address it,” Farkas said at the time.
In the first case, Adamo Construction, the contractors in the Detroit demolition program, had mistakenly knocked down a Land Bank-owned house at 5792 Holcomb that was in the demolition pipeline but was not the house under contract for demolition. The property that should have been torn down was actually next door.
“A violation of this nature is unacceptable and while we appreciate Adamo’s self-disclosing this violation to us, we have sent them a notice of violation,” Farkas added. “If they do not challenge it within 7 days, Adamo will be suspended from the bidding process on all demolitions for the 90 days.”
The city can again suspend Adamo for 90 days after this incident.